Monday, January 25, 2010

Chicken-Rice skillet

This one is super-duper easy, it's cheap, and it tastes good.

1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 1/2 lb. boneless chicken breast cubed
2 cups water
1 Tablespoon butter
1 bag (1 lb.) frozen broccoli, red peppers, onions and mushrooms (or other combination) thawed and drained
2 cups uncooked instant rice
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Instructions:

1. heat oil and cook chicken 3-4 minutes, until no longer pink in center.
2. Add water and butter, heat to boiling. Stir in veggies, rice, salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cheese. Remove from heat.
3. Cover and let stand about 5 minutes, or until the water is absorbed.


**I made this the other night with fresh veggies instead of frozen and it turned out good. Just make sure you saute them before or they will be crisp. I added broccoli, peppers, corn, peas, cauliflower. I also like to make sure everything boils before I remove it from the heat and cover it because then the cheese will melt for sure. Also, don't forget the salt like I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment